May 8, 2011

Rose Cake






Perfect Cake for Mother's Day! I have to be honest though, I actually made this cake for a royal wedding party, but my procrastination has made it just in time for Mother's Day.

I became infatuated with the idea of making buttercream roses when I saw one of my favorite food bloggers post it. She even included a tutorial, so how could i not try! (Rose Cake Tutorial From I Am Baker)

As long as you have a pipping bag, these roses are very easy to make and quite the crowd pleaser! I made this cake with my sister and in order to cut down some time we bought our buttercream from our supermarket's bakery, but any buttercream recipe will work. We also added mint leaves from our garden to fill in empty spaces and to add color.


I filled the middle of the cake with raspberry buttercream, which added an extra layer of flavor and color. To make this pink icing i just mixed my regular buttercream with raspberry jam to taste. 

The cake recipe is from my grandmother, my original baking hero, who taught me love through sugar and to only lick the spoon once (that one never really did stick, sorry grams) This post is dedicated to her and my mom. Happy Mother's Day!


Ingredients:
Cake
1 3/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of shortening (Crisco)
2 eggs, room temp
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups cake flour
2/12 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups of milk

Baking:
1. Preheat the oven to 350
2. Cream the sugar and shortening
3. Beat eggs in 1 at a time, on low speed
4. Add vanilla and speed up mixer for 1 minute
5. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a seperate bowl
6. Add flour mixture and milk to the batter, alternating starting and ending with flour
7. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean

Assembly
1. When cakes are cooled flip over and apply a layer of buttercream (or raspberry buttercream)
2. Place 2nd layer on top and gently press down with palms of your hand
3. Apply a light layer of buttercream on the top of cake, so the roses have something to stick to, and a thicker layer around the sides
4. Rose the top of your cake

1 comment:

  1. your are an artist, how did you do those roses with the icing?

    ReplyDelete