March 24, 2011

Buttermilk Cornbread

Unfortunately buttermilk is an item you buy in a quart and only use a cup of for any given recipe. Fortunately having leftover buttermilk always encourages me to bake new things! Its become a game for me. What can I make with leftover buttermilk? Ive tried biscuits, cakes, muffins, and now cornbread!

It was late when I started the recipe search, so I looked for something quick and more importantly not messy! I found this on allrecipes.com. At first I was skeptical because I wasn't sure of the dependability of the site, but it was someone's grandmother's recipe and for some reason that made me trust it. Anything that has descended a couple generations must have some merit. And it did! 

This cornbread was denser because of the buttermilk but absolutely scrumptious. Next time I will add in some bits of real corn for some extra texture and sugar. I definitely have a go to recipe now for my leftover buttermilk!

Cooking time: 40 minutes
Servings: 9 pieces of cornbread

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs*
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Baking:
1. Preheat oven to 375 and grease and 8 inch square pan.
2. Melt butter in a large saucepan. Take off the heat and add the sugar, mix well
3. Add eggs and make sure they are mixed well.
4. Mix buttermilk and baking soda together and then add to the mixture
5. Mix in cornmeal, flour, and salt and stir until there are few lumps
6. Pour into pan and Bake 30- 40 minutes and until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the pan.

*Tip: Always crack your eggs in a separate bowl to ensure you do not mix a bad egg into your batter. You will know if you have a bad egg as soon as you crack it because of the rotten smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment