March 10, 2011

White Bean and Tomato Medley

   

Mmmmmmmmm don't you just love a good medley. Ok so medley isn't exactly a gourmet culinary term, but its the perfect word to describe my favorite bean dish. 

While living abroad in Athens, Greece I discovered a dish that I lovvvvvvved called Yiyantes, translated as Giant. The traditional dish is baked in a tomatoey sauce and is perfectly seasoned and super filling. 

That summer I returned with a craving for white beans! This is my rendition of the fabulous greek dish. I always add in a green vegetable to pack in some more nutrients, this time I used fresh spinach, but its easily replaceable with green beans or any veggies you have on hand. 

I make a huge batch and eat it over a few days, hot for dinner and cold for lunch! Its perfect both ways.

Cook time: 25 minutes
Servings: 6-7

Ingredients: 
3 (15.5 oz) cans white cannelini beans 
1/4 cup of olive oil 
2 fresh tomatoes or 1 (8oz) can of diced tomato
1 small yellow onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 bag of fresh spinach
1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, minced
Salt & pepper, to taste

Cooking: 
1. Heat oil over medium heat and drain beans
2. Add onions to the oil cook for 5 minutes, add garlic cook for 1 minute
3. Add beans and tomatoes and season with salt and pepper and cook for 10-12 minutes until beans are cooked through
4. Add spinach and cook for 4 minutes until spinach is wilted
5. Add thyme leaves and cook for 1 minute, taste and season with salt and pepper 

No comments:

Post a Comment