March 30, 2011

Monkey Bread


You know that age old question: If you could eat dinner with one person, dead or alive, who would it be? My answer use to be, hands down Bill Clinton, for so many reasons. Well really just one he was my first crush. But sorry Bill my answer has officially changed. I would have dinner with the inventor of Monkey Bread. Who is this person? And where did they come up with such gooey deliciousness? 

I have been late to join the monkey bread parade, as it is apparently well known and loved, but I am now a dedicated follower for life. 

The preparation was blissfully easy and the outcome was sinfully sweet. The whole premise of the dish is cutting up biscuits and gluing them together with butter, sugar and nuts! While there are many variations of this recipe I decided for my first attempt I would use the simplest version I found online.

I invited a few girlfriends over (to ensure I wouldn't eat the entire thing) and it was the most popular dish at brunch!

Cooking time: 40 minutes
Servings: for a lot of people!

Ingredients:
2 (16.3 oz cans) of buttermilk biscuits
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup of margarine, melted
1/2 cup of walnuts, chopped

Baking:
1. Cut the biscuits into quarters
2. Mix sugar and cinammon in a ziploc bag. Add biscuit pieces and shake, shake, shake
3. Grease a bundt pan. Place the pieces on top of each other to fill the pan, mixing the walnuts in between pieces.
4. Melt the butter over low heat. Add brown sugar and stir.
5. Pour mixture over the biscuit pieces.
6. Bake 30-35 minutes.
7. Let cool for 10 minutes and Invert pan to serve.

1 comment:

  1. I am new to this whole cooking thing, so Im not sure how the biscuits are cut and then put inside the pan...could you maybe put some pictures of the process while making these dishes! Keep them coming though, they are d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s.

    ReplyDelete