March 23, 2011

Weeknight Pasta


The scene: It's 6:30 pm, no meat or fish defrosted, and I'm about to reach for the take out menu......but no something stops me. Somethings telling me, WAIT you are resourceful! you are creative! You can cook.......right????

So I reached for the box of pasta instead. I found 2 veggies in my fridge, mushroom and spinach and started to improvise. It was delicious and so fast that I had an extra 30 minutes in my night to blissfully do nothing.

Try this as your next weeknight quick fix!

Cooking time: 20 minutes
Servings: 5

Ingredients:
1 box of Whole Wheat Spaghetti
2 tbl olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 package baby spinach
1 (8oz) package of sliced cremini mushrooms
1/4 cup of white wine
1 tbl fresh thyme, minced
3/4 cup reserved pasta water
Parmesan cheese

Cooking:
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large saute pan. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute
2. Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to boil and add pasta, cook according to package directions
3. Add mushrooms to pan and cook for 2 minutes. Add spinach and continue to cook until spinach wilts.
4. Pour white wine over mushroom and spinach mixture and bring to a boil. Cook for about 7 minutes or until most of the white wine is evaporated
5. Before draining the pasta reserve 3/4 cup of the pasta water
6. Drain the pasta and add it to the mushroom and spinach mixture. Also add the reserved pasta water
7. Add thyme and cut chunks of Parmesan cheese to add on top
8. Drizzle each serving with olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment