March 8, 2011

Stuffed Cabbage


You're probably thinking "what is this saucy hot mess." 

Stuffed cabbage is an old Eastern European recipe. I used the recipe from the one and only Mrs. Ina Garten. It is hearty enough for a main course and also fun to make. 

 Rolling the cabbage is suprisingly easy, and the sauce mixed with brown sugar, tomato and raisins is a perfect combination of sweet and savory. 

Ina suggest blanching the cabbage whole, but I found afterwards that some of the inner leaves were too hard to use and I had to blanch them separately. The second time I made the recipe I blanched the cabbage longer. I also had leftover meat filling so I made a meatloaf. 

The queen of stuffed cabbage, my 90 year-old Polish grandmother, even approved. Phew.

I provided the link with the recipe and also a video at foodnetwork. Try it, you won't be sorry!


http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/stuffed-cabbage-recipe/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment